- A new external insulated render system was to be installed to increase the efficiency of the old university buildings.
- The existing cavity wall did not have enough cavity wall ties to withstand the additional load of the new render system.
- The outer leaf was also cracked due to thermal movement of the blockwork.
- A wall tie and structural inspection was carried out to determine a suitable solution.
- We installed several thousands of helical remedial wall ties and hundreds of helical bar crack stitches to secure the two-leaf masonry and reintroduce the structural integrity of the masonry via the crack stitches.
- The project was carried out in two phases due to complicated scaffold access. All cavity wall ties and crack stitches were installed on time and to budget.